Total Pageviews

Monday 28 July 2014

Ravishing Rajasthan !!


        "Errrr..Inconvenience is regretted..!" This is just a two-liner to inform to you all that I have decided to put the Mumbai-series on hold for a while. Why, you might ask? Because I had recent been to a place I was told NOT TO VISIT AT ANY COST in the month of July. And quite honestly, I'm extremely eager to share my experience with you all.
However, this post is going to be a tad bit different than my previous posts. You'll know as you read on.

Before the marathon begins, there are a few things I want to share.
1. In Rajasthan, DO NOT trust the guides you hire at the tourist spots, when it comes to negotiating guide charges. They will most definitely  rip you off. (Unless you hire a proper guide with receipt.).
 [This guy said he'd charge us Rs.100 and we agreed. After the tour, he said we'd agreed on Rs.200. It was just horrible.]
2. When in Jaipur, make sure you walk on the footpath at all times. Otherwise, chances are you'll get hit by a bus/car/bike or even a cycle.


Because it is your responsibility to try to stay alive, not theirs.



3. And if you manage to survive the traffic, just put on those ear plugs, cause everyone-I mean EVERYONE- with some form of vehicle, loves to honk. I mean, quiet is just so old fashioned..!! Right?!! *sigh*
4. Make sure that you do a little homework and decide the places you want to visit before you go and hire a vehicle. Otherwise, you'll end up visiting only those places that your vehicle owner wants you to visit.

And now,some food and shopping tips:
1. When in Rajasthan, make sure you try all types of Bengali sweets,esp. Malai roll. Also, do try Ras Malai, Ghewar, Meethi Kachori and Balushahi.
2. Dal Kachori, Dal Bati Churma and Lassi are their specialty and should definitely be on your list.
3. Almost everywhere, you'll find shokeepers selling the "100 gm Rajai"- which is a quilt that weighs just 100 gms. Its a good bargain for any price under Rs.550.
4. If you are into jewellery, you are in for a treat. There is a great variety in bangles, necklaces, earings, etc. The Meenakari work is their specialty.
5. ALWAYS shop from the local markets rather than emporiums and boutiques. You will get the same thing at almost 3/4th of the price. [Your car/auto driver will take you to some shop which is supposedly "government approved". Do not fall prey to their tactics and ask him to drive you to the local market.]

Jodhpur local market: Sardar and Girdikot market.
Jaipur local market: Johri bazaar, Bapu bazaar,Nehru Bazaar.

Yeah! That was quite it !

 Well, there is a great saying that goes:
 "If a picture is worth a thousand words, then here is my story"-Isha Pradhan... :P :D.
And abiding to the phenomenal statement, I present to you, my journey to Rajasthan !!! I hope you all enjoy it.

UDAIPUR:

..And the journey begins!


A view of the balcony- Hotel Sita
And the lobby at night.

On the way to Nagda

Nadga- The old capital of Mewar

Another glimpse

A beautiful mural at Nagda

Exquisite carving

On our way out...

The Jaisamand lake


Rocks at Jaisamand- A view from the boat


Boating at lake Pichola

Leela palace,Lake Pichola (owned by Leelas group)

Time to go to Karni Mata temple(behind Lake Pichola)

Karni Mata temple

A view from the top- Udaipur

City palace- Udaiput

Cite palace- From the top
Thank you sky for the dramatic effect

Maharana Pratap museum and art gallery

Saheliyon ki Badi


JODHPUR:


Udaipur to Jodhpur
A stop at Ranakpur

...And off we go again..

Umaid Bhavan palace, Jodhpur

The magnanimous Mehrangarh fort
Inside the fort

"Mommy! Can I have this room please? "

And of course a perfect fleet of stairs!

Bye-bye fort. Hello 'Osian camel camp'..!!
"Umm..Lemme just take a pose" (Osian)

Atop a camel- Yayy!! :D (Osian)

JAIPUR:

Albert Hall, Jaipur


The famous markets of Jaipur

Jantar Mantar

Another view of Jantar Mantar
Jal Mahal

Kanak Vrindavan

Nahargarh fort

Perfection..!! <3

Amber fort (Beware of tour guides here. Total waste of money!)

The famous Sheesh mahal

A view from top of the Amber fort
And a trip to Jaipur is incomplete without a visit to the Hawa Mahal

Who'd have thought Hawa Mahal could look like this from the inside??!!


THE END


   I hope you all enjoyed the post. And Rajasthan, I feel, is even more beautiful during monsoon!! So, if you plan to visit Rajasthan anytime after July 10, I'd say go for it..!! I haven't included the details like my hotel stay or the cost of travelling, etc. If you want me to include that, do comment below..

Thanks for checking out my blog! See you soon. Till then, adios!



1 comment:

  1. I think I must visit Rajasthan again as I missed many spots before...!!!! Nice snaps..!! :)

    ReplyDelete